This is scary stuff and we all need to be concerned about this, especially if we have a young one who is athlete!
DID YOU KNOW?
If defibrillation is administered within one minute of collapse, the survival rate for sudden heart failure goes up 90 percent. “Timing is key to survival. Waiting even 10 minutes to defibrillate drops the chances of survival to 10 percent,” says John Lynn Jefferies, MD.
This is a free, live, on-line Q and A where you and your readers can ask questions in real time. It’s a chance to talk to knowledgeable and experienced doctors and get answers right on the spot.
The Q and A takes place April 9th from 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. EST with Jeffrey Towbin, MD and John Lynn Jefferies, MD.
RSVP Here! : http://liveevent.cincinnatichildrensblog.org/events/heart-failure-athletes
Top 5 risk factors for sudden heart failure in student athletes:
1. Family history of sudden death.
2. Fainting or family history of fainting.
3. Family history of arrhythmias or heart muscle disease.
4. Participation in sports (particularly sports that require a burst of activity like basketball, hockey and football).
5. Athlete has gone through puberty (an athlete’s body is stronger at this point and has power during the burst of activity).